I have only ever played ‘proper’ golf once in my life, and I was (unsurprisingly) absolutely atrocious. Mini golf or crazy golf is about my limit. So when A and I were invited to an event to help with getting kids into golf in Leeds, I thought it would be fun, and I think it’s always a good idea to encourage kids to take part in sport for both the physical and the social aspect.
Online Golf have launched an initiative to ‘Get Kids into Golf’ and so the event gave kids the ideal chance to learn some basic golf skills, and get competitive with some competitions.
At the event, the kiddos got to try out:
- 6 Hole Indoor Golf Course
- Chipping Nets with Pro Instructors
- Golf ten-pin bowling
We were split into groups and then went around the different games in our groups before moving onto the next one. There were golf pro’s on each game to help the children and show them how to hold and use their golf club properly. It took a bit of time for me to persuade Ava how to hold the golf club properly – she just wanted to grab it and get on with it.
Ava had lots of fun wacking her ball around the 6 hole golf course, and enjoyed trying to knock the skittles over in the golf ten-pin bowling. She was probably slightly too young to enjoy it for long though and preferred running around with another blogger’s daughter and hiding from me, as well as stealing my camera and taking lots of pictures of blogger’s children! She was very excited to get a goody bag at the end though with an OG Golf cap, tees and balloons and was excited to tell people all about playing golf afterwards.
Online Golf have also compiled some top tips from their team about why golf is great for kids!
Top 5 reasons why Kids should get into golf
- More kids can play golf! For golf you don’t have to be tall, strong or fast or lean. Successful golfers come in all shapes, sizes and ages.
- It’s low-risk! Chances of injuries in golf are very small to non-existent compared to other popular sports like football or rugby. Being no-contact, golf is a very safe, respectful sport.
- It’s healthy! Golf is an outdoors sport giving kids the opportunity to exercise al fresco whilst enjoying nature.
- It creates bonds with friends & family! Whether your kid plays golf with family members, friends or takes lessons with a pro, mentoring and playing together will create unique and close bonds that will last a lifetime.
- Your kid will learn important life lessons! Playing golf, kids will experience highs and lows, from the first hole-in-one or birdie to a misplaced shot in a bunker. Golf will teach your kid that though we can’t always win, we always have another shot in life and skill comes with practice.
They all sound like great reasons for kids to get into golf, don’t they? Maybe when A’s a bit older she’ll go golfing with her Daddy (I’ll drive the buggy).
It was a lovely event, and the kids clearly had lots of fun, and hopefully it inspired lots of little future golfers!
Have your kids ever played golf? Do you think they would enjoy it?
Thanks to Online Golf for inviting us to the event.