Yes. Recently I sat there for almost an hour with a Thomas the Tank Engine stuck in my hair. It took a lot of turning on and off of the motor, and eventually scissors to free the damn thing. What did I learn from that experience? Never let a three year old use your head as a train track.
As a mum to three boys under five, I am learning new things about parenting and the world every single day. I figured Louise’s blog would be the perfect place to share some of my words of wisdom.
- Use contraception. (I’m joking. I adore the kids really. Sometimes).
- Letting your child stay up late does not mean they will sleep any later. Go to bed at 7pm, get up at 5am. Go to bed at 11pm, get up at 5.05am.
- Children pick up when you’re tired and hungover. They will be little shits. Probably isn’t worth it.
- It is never a good idea to buy your children toy musical instruments. Ever. Or anything that requires batteries.
- That no matter how much you say you won’t use an iPad/CBeebies as a babysitter, you will.
- The whole joke about not being able to go for a wee in peace is not a joke. You will have an audience.
- The postman/courier/coldcaller will ring the doorbell as soon as the baby or toddler goes down for a nap. It’s almost guaranteed.
- That Weetabix could easily be used as cement. If I ever get to build my own house, I’m using Weetabix. When that shit dries, it’s impossible to remove.
- You will use baby wipes for just about everything. I start hyperventilating if I don’t have a packet within arms reach.
- No matter what your kids do, no matter how evil they are being, you will forgive them for just about everything when they climb on your lap for a cuddle.
Rachel is a Brummie mummy to Harrison (4), Alex (3) and Ben (1). She is a blogger and a freelance writer, and has been writing at ParenthoodHighsandLows.com since 2013. Subjects include – Parenting, Crafts, Competitions, Reviews, and more.